Monday, October 26, 2009

Quality Time

Is it sad that many of my fondest memories of spending time with my family, and now husband, are of us gathered around a video game?  Just this past weekend, feeling the blahs, Clinton and I drug out our Super Nintendo (the Nintendo system is broke :-O ) and started up a game of Zelda: A Link to the Past. For those of you (lame-os) that don't know that game, it is an epic rpg from Nintendo from 1992 (US release). It has sold millions of copies (get with the times! I think it's even available on the Wii Virtual console (don't quote me on that, because I don't have a Wii. (Donations accepted))).

Anyway, we had a blast helping each other solve all of the mysteries and fight the battles. We took turns on the controls, though I let him do a good portion! We have a few dungeons left to beat to save the world (of Hyrule) but have stopped now, dizzy but with a sense of nostalgia and accomplishment.  It reminds me fully of the times my entire family (mom, dad, two sisters, and I) would gather around the living room to play each new game in the Legend of Zelda series.  We worked as a team and shared time together in a way not quite like any other.  Through those (long) hours we were truly a unit, a family.

Now, with the kids grown and off on their own adventures, we all have a map (and compass, lol) to go by, to find ways to share with others.  All of those moms, those gamer-haters, who want to ban all video games because they cause violence and rot the mind should be reminded of what that little boy who went out into the rainstorm world with only three hearts and lamp could accomplish with the power of family behind him.  It's not all bad, eh?